(317) 247-5040 | office@wehelpimmigrants.com | 3500 DePauw Blvd, Ste 2071, Indianapolis IN 46268


  • Black Facebook Icon

Disclaimer: The legal information on our website is provided without any representations or warranties, express or implied. No attorney-client relationship is created through the use of our website. All information on this site is of a general nature and should not be considered legal advice. Always consult our firm or another qualified immigration lawyer about your specific situation prior to taking any action in your case.

Crime Victim Visas

We're sorry to hear that you've been the victim of a crime or abuse. While you are in the healing process, we may be able to help you stabilize your immigration status to give you the opportunity to move forward with your life.

Options for victims

U Visa

The U Visa was created to protect victims of certain crimes who help authorities bring the perpetrator to justice. It can be scary for undocumented immigrants to come forward and cooperate with police or prosecutors. However, the U Visa gives them the opportunity to both help society as well as protect themselves from deportation. 

The basic requirements for obtaining a U Visa are:

1. You must be the victim of one of these types of crimes: 

2. You have to cooperate with the police or prosecutor. That means you should report the crime, answer questions that the detective asks, return calls you receive, let them know if you change your number, and go to court to testify if asked to.

3. The police or prosecutor has to sign a certification that you helped them.

4. You have to show that you suffered because you were a victim. Suffering can be a physical injury OR emotional suffering. 

There are other requirements also that some immigrants cannot meet. However, there is a waiver available to immigrants who apply for U Visas. This waiver can forgive you for illegal entries, being undocumented, and some crimes.


If you are the spouse, son or daughter, or parent of a U.S. citizen or green card holder, and you have been the victim of abuse, you may be able to apply for your own green card through a law called VAWA. The abuser will not know that you applied and does not have to sign anything. This can be a good way to find the freedom you need to start your new life. 

Please reload

Are you ready to move forward with your case? Do you value having a lawyer on your team?